If you are looking for a firm that can design projects that are innovative, sustainable, and beautiful, you may want to check out Tymoff and Moss. Tymoff and Moss is a renowned architecture firm based in Norfolk, Virginia, that has been creating stunning buildings and spaces for over 25 years.
In this article, we will introduce you to the founders and partners of Tymoff and Moss, and show you some of their amazing works. We will also tell you why Tymoff and Moss is more than just an architecture firm, but a community of passionate and creative professionals.
The Founders and Partners of Tymoff and Moss
Tymoff and Moss was founded in 1995 by John Tymoff and Barry Moss, two former executives of one of the largest architecture firms in Virginia. They decided to start their own firm with a vision of creating projects that bring value, promote liveliness, and elevate the places where people work and live. They also wanted to create a collaborative and open studio environment, where every member of the team can contribute and learn from each other.
John Tymoff and Barry Moss are both registered architects and members of the American Institute of Architects. They have extensive experience and expertise in various types of projects, such as residential, commercial, educational, cultural, and civic. They have also received numerous awards and recognitions for their work, such as the AIA Honor Award, the AIA Merit Award, and the AIA Design Excellence Award.
Read More About:
In 2018, Tymoff and Moss welcomed two new partners to the firm: Todd Savage and Michael Schnekser. They are both seasoned architects and leaders, who have been working with Tymoff and Moss for over 15 years. They share the same vision and values as the founders, and they bring new perspectives and skills to the firm. They are also registered architects and members of the American Institute of Architects, and they have been involved in many successful and award-winning projects.
The Projects of Tymoff and Moss
Tymoff and Moss has designed and completed over 300 projects in various locations and scales, ranging from single-family homes to mixed-use developments3. They have also worked with various clients and stakeholders, such as private owners, developers, corporations, institutions, and government agencies. Some of their notable projects include:
- The Slover Library. This is a state-of-the-art public library that combines a historic building with a modern addition. The project features a glass facade, a rooftop terrace, a digital media lab, and a children’s library. The project also incorporates sustainable design elements, such as natural ventilation, daylighting, and rainwater harvesting. The project won the AIA Honor Award and the AIA Design Excellence Award in 2016.
- The Chrysler Museum of Art. This is a major renovation and expansion of a prestigious art museum that houses over 30,000 artworks. The project includes a new entrance, a new wing, a new glass studio, and a new sculpture garden. The project also enhances the visitor experience, the accessibility, and the energy efficiency of the museum. The project won the AIA Merit Award and the AIA Design Excellence Award in 2015.
- The 450 Granby Street. This is a mixed-use development that transforms a vacant lot into a vibrant urban destination. The project consists of a 24-story tower that contains apartments, offices, retail, and parking. The project also features a public plaza, a rooftop pool, and a sky lounge. The project aims to revitalize the downtown area and create a sense of community. The project is currently under construction and expected to be completed in 2024.
The Community of Tymoff and Moss
Tymoff and Moss is more than just an architecture firm, but a community of passionate and creative professionals. The firm has a team of over 20 architects, designers, and staff, who work together in a collaborative and open studio environment. The firm also has a network of consultants, contractors, and vendors, who support and complement the firm’s services. The firm also engages with the local and global community, by participating in various events, activities, and initiatives, such as:
- The Design Norfolk. This is a series of lectures, workshops, and exhibitions that showcase the work and ideas of local and international architects and designers. The firm hosts and sponsors this event every year, to promote design excellence and education in the region.
- The AIA Hampton Roads. This is a chapter of the American Institute of Architects that represents and supports the professional interests and development of architects and designers in the Hampton Roads area. The firm is an active member and leader of this chapter, and has served in various roles and committees, such as the president, the vice-president, and the design awards chair.
- The Habitat for Humanity. This is a non-profit organization that builds and renovates affordable housing for low-income families and individuals. The firm volunteers and donates to this organization, and has designed and built several houses for the organization’s clients.
Tymoff and Moss is a dynamic duo of architecture that has been creating innovative, sustainable, and beautiful projects for over 25 years. The firm is founded and led by John Tymoff and Barry Moss, and joined by Todd Savage and Michael Schnekser as partners. The firm has designed and completed over 300 projects in various locations and scales, such as the Slover Library, the Chrysler Museum of Art, and the 450 Granby Street. The firm is also a community of passionate and creative professionals, who collaborate and engage with each other and the world. Tymoff and Moss is a firm that you should know and follow, if you are interested in architecture and design.